inspiration.

Monday, April 26, 2010

I KNEW there was a reason I started this ridiculous endeavour of trying to read 10,000 pages in five months.

In the midst of reading Tony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, I was struck with an urge. Like a crack-addict looking for a fix, I ran, literally RAN, to the grocery store in search of a culinary fix. And thank the gods it's almost spring. My grocer's produce section is now riddled with decent bushels of fresh herbs. Among them: Thyme.

The heavens open up.
Rays of sunlight shower the shelf in front of me.
Angels sing the sweet sounds of deliciousness.

I. Love. Spring.

So I bought a bag of thyme sprigs, and, as usual, I had no idea what I was going to do with it. I brought it home, put it in the fridge, and sat at the kitchen table. What can I do with fresh thyme? In walks my veg-head brother.
Perfect. He loves pasta. AND!  I'm sure there's a box of whole wheat penne in the cupboard. So it went.

Creamy parmigiano and white wine sauce with thyme and slow roasted garlic, on whole wheat penne. And then I quickly roasted a bunch of fresh asparagus with freshly ground sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. Quickly roasted, as in, roasted for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, until they've just turned that beautifully irresistible crispy green colour, and you just smell that orgasm-inducing roasted asparagus smell. No..? Just me..? Okay..

Anyways -- INCREDIBLE. This was the first time I'd ever made a pasta sauce from scratch, and I gotta say. I'm quite impressed with myself, and more than a little relieved to find that, even if I do nothing else over the course of this entire Quest for 10,000, it will not have been in vain.

Good food equates a happy life.

Oh, in case you were wondering why there's no picture...
Yeah. It didn't survive long enough. Sorry.

0 backtalker(s):

Post a Comment

Culinerd Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino