simple is sweet.

Monday, April 26, 2010

I know it's not quite strawberry season yet, but I can't help the $1.99 boxes at the grocery store. Strawberries just excite me. So, when I get them home, chop them up, and take a bite, I'm a little let down. They just don't taste like July to me.

"Probably because it isn't July, you moron."

Don't rain on my parade. Just give me STRAWBERRIES THAT TASTE LIKE EFFING STRAWBERRIES, DAMN IT.

Rejoice! All is not lost. I've found a way to breath a little life into out-of-season strawberries. And it's quite simple.

For every 1 cup (ish) of chopped strawberries, add a tsp each of fresh lemon juice and fresh lime juice. You might feel like that's too much, so just play around with the amounts to find which best suit your palette.

Not only does the acidity of the lemon and lime awaken the tired strawberry flavour, but it also adds just a hint of bright and bitter citrus flavour. Like a little morsel of a hot July day by the pool in every bite.

Sweeten with a little fruit sugar (just eyeball it), and then use this delicious and wonderfully fragrant creation as a topping for vanilla ice cream/frozen yogurt/gelato. Oh baby.

Enjoy!


0 backtalker(s):

Post a Comment

Culinerd Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino