vegan vanilla cupcake

Monday, April 26, 2010

I've conquered the vanilla side of vegan cupcakes.
From the very first vegan cupcake I baked a month ago, to the pretty little vanilla cupcakes I baked for my brother and his crude, pimply-faced friends (4/20 MUNCHIES!!!!) I feel like my vegan cupcake journey is far from being over.

The basis for this recipe came from Jennifer McCann, author of the cookbook "Vegan Lunch Box." I changed it up only slightly for the first time using it. You can find the original recipe here.


1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/3 cups plain soymilk
2 cups pastry flour (or regular all purpose)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt (or kosher or table)
1 1/8 cups sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract

(This recipe should yield 22 cup cakes, but I make them slightly larger so I got about a dozen.)

Line your muffin pan with your cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place the apple cider vinegar in the bottom of a liquid measuring cup and fill the cup with soymilk to equal 1 1/2 cups. Stir well and set aside (the mixture will curdle).


In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients.

In a large bowl, combine all wet ingredients.

Sift dry into wet ingredients, and then quickly incorporate with a whisk, and then completely mix together with  an electric beater for about a minute. (Or until it looks like everything is mixed and smooth)

Fill muffin cups with 1/4 cup of batter each (or more if you want bigger cupcakes. You'll just have to adjust baking time accordingly)

Bake for 15-20 minutes. If you're making larger cupcakes like I did, do a toothpick test after 20 minutes and sort of use that as a guide. It took about 22-23 minutes for mine.

Let cupcakes cool completely before icing.

Et voila!


0 backtalker(s):

Post a Comment

Culinerd Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino